Sunday, May 26, 2013

Language Learning for Better Dental Hygeine

While brushing my four-year old's teeth we've started reviewing how to count to ten in a few different languages. The way it works is this. I divide his mouth into six sections: bottom back left, bottom back right, bottom back front, and then the same for the top of his mouth. As he brushes each section, I count to ten in a different language of his choice. Once I get to ten we move on to a different part of his mouth, and I count to ten in a new language.

So for instance, we usually start in English, so we count to ten while doing the bottom back left section. I ask him what he wants to do next. It might be Spanish, so I say "uno, dos, tres, cuatro, cinco, seis, siete, ocho, nueve, diez" while he brushes the next part. Then we continue maybe in Hungarian, "egy, kettő, három, négy, őt, hat, hét, nyolc, kilenc, tíz." Next might be German, "eins, zwei, drei, vier, fünf, sechs, sieben, acht, neun, zehn." We might continue with Slovak, "jeden, dva, tri, štyri, päť, šesť, sedem, osem, deväť, desať," and finish in Danish, "en, to, tre, fire, fem, seks, syv, otte, ni, ti."

The other day we were doing this, and I was counting in Slovak. I paused for a moment after saying the number three, and my son immediately jumped in and said "štyri," which I thought was very cool. It showed that he was paying attention and learning.

My wife points out that we should probably be brushing a little bit longer and should count to fifteen. I suppose that means I need to learn how to count higher than ten in Slovak and Danish.


No comments:

Post a Comment