Wednesday, April 17, 2013

I Am Not Fine

About fifteen years ago I got to know Argentine hospitality as I was constantly being offered food and drink. After I had had my fill I would respond as any American might. They would say, "¿Quiere más pan? ¡Come más pan!" (Would you like some bread? Have some more bread!), and I would say, "No, estoy bien," translated from the English, "No, I'm fine." I did this until one day someone called me on it and asked me why I kept saying that I was fine. According to this individual, I should simply say "No gracias." (No thank you). They had, after all, asked me if I wanted some food, not how I was doing. This is a classic example of trying to translate a phrase from one language to another that doesn't really work. The more I thought about it, in fact, the more it seemed like a terrible non sequiter. Why is it exactly that saying that I'm fine is an appropriate way to turn something away?

Years later I was in Hungary with some Americans and I noticed the same thing happen. Some food or drink was offered, and the American responded, "Nem, jól vagyok." (No, I'm fine). I then asked the Hungarian woman offering us a snack if that was appropriate, that is, if that was something a Hungarian would say, and she of course said it was not, that it would be more correct to say "Köszönöm, nem kérek" (Literally: Thanks, I don't ask for it).

I can't be certain, but it seems to me that most languages don't allow you to say that you're fine when you really should say "no thank you." If you're learning another language, I would double-check with a native speaker unless you want everyone to think you're obsessed with your health.

What seems even a little stranger is when someone responds, "No, I'm good." That is, unless the person speaking is Superman.

No comments:

Post a Comment